Friday, January 19, 2007

Web of trust

I continue to add little bits of other people's Javascript on the side of my blog. I just added some code from Technorati. Earlier, I added a hit tracker from Sitemeter and am publishing my RSS feed via Feedburner. The Technorati and Sitemeter things are raw Javascript includes. Oh, and I've started using Zooomr pictures, more Javascript. I haven't added the dozen "pick me!" buttons from Digg et al, yet. But I'm not ruling it out in the future. I don't plan to turn on the ads, but that's just more of the same.

The point is, if you want to 0wn my readers, just compromise Blogger, Technorati, Sitemeter, Zoomr or Feedburner. Or maybe something they depend on. Then you can hand out all of the browser exploits in my name you want.

It's not like attacking one site to compromise another has never been done, or that I haven't been targeted before. I'm just saying.

Web 2.0 is looking a lot like a huge interconnected chain of transitive trust. See also: myspace.

No comments: